Saturday, March 11, 2006

Final Post - Mar. 12 - Delhi, India

Sunday, March 12 :: Delhi, India :: 0km today / 5740km total

Well this is it. My last day in South Asia. I'm all set for the long planerides home, and took it quite easy today, taking in the last bit of India for... a long time, at least. I'm happy and ready to be coming home, but at the same time I'm also very sad to be leaving here. It really has been an incredible experience, and I think I'll really start to miss the Subcontinent in about a month or two. Three months ago I came to the Subcontinent thinking I knew a bit about the cultures here, but there is so much to absorb that I leave knowing that I only scratched the surface. I know that I'm in for major culture shock when I get home - last year I suffered culture shock coming home from 2 months in SE Asia, and this trip has certainly been a far deeper experience. I may have to go camp out on Gerrard St. East for a while! But Gerrard East ("Little India" in Toronto, for those that don't know) bears only a superficial relation to what you experience in India or Pakistan. Even the food in the restaurants there is quite different from the average meal you'd have here.

I thought I'd put down some of my final thoughts and impressions of the three countries I've travelled through, while I'm here and the memories are still vivid.

Nepal: A fantastic country with a gentle, friendly people. If they can get past their civil war and banditry I'd love to come back and do the Annapurna Circuit (at least!). Exotic Kathmandu was my favourite large city of this trip. Sandwiched in the middle of my trip, it was nice to go to a country where women had a close-to-equal status with men, at least compared to India and Pakistan.

Pakistan: A country you have to be careful in, especially female travellers, but once you understand and adapt to the culture, a wonderful place to travel - all in all my favourite country of this trip. Other travellers that I've met over the years - male and female - have consistently given Pakistan a good review, second only to Iran in many cases. For those unwilling to adapt or "When-in-Rome" it, Pakistan is a bad bad place to go. Pakistanis think of the Karakoram Highway as the 8th Wonder of the World, and I have to agree with them - I have never cycled a more spectacular road, passing through scenery that you can scarcely believe exists. I want to finish the KKH - Gilgit (Pakistan) to Kashgar (China). Not next year, but in a few years.

India: I can't put one finger or description on India, because it is far too diverse. Apart from being large and geographically varied, India is a dramatic mix of religions, history, cultures, and people. Thats what mades India so exciting. Even at the relatively slow pace of a bicycle, things were constantly changing around me as I travelled through. In terms of sightseeing India definitely shines in terms of buildings and monuments - its the rare country that can compete with India's wealth of manmade historical sites. Yes, travelling India is tough, I've never travelled through a country that offered so many headaches, and at times it got to me, as you can probably tell from this blog. But thats part of the whirlwind of India, and also part of travelling for 3 months straight. You can't be chipper and happy all the time. If you were to ask me if I would recommend India to travel to, there would be no simple answer, and I would have different answers for different people - for some people the Himalaya would be great, for others Goa, for others the Cosmopolitan, progressive cities of Delhi or Bombay, for others the Buddhist environs of Darjeeling, for others the Mughal history of Rajasthan, for others the quieter, easygoing states of Gujarat, Maharastra, or Kerala... when I look back on it, for me, really, it was all incredible.

Bye from Delhi!

13 Comments:

Blogger sage said...

thanks for your posts. I stumbled across your blog six weeks ro so ago and have read your posts off and on. It sounds like a wonderful adventure. blessings.

7:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bandits and civil war? hard to get more friendly and gentle than that.

12:04 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Hey, I am currently cycling in India (south goa right now) and I am having a lot of trouble finding a western bicycle shop. Do you remember any shops or cities that definitely have a western shop.
thanks,
Gene
gorelikg@gmail.com

9:13 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

mont blanc pens, vans outlet, marc jacobs outlet, chi flat iron, valentino shoes, mac cosmetics, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose outlet, ugg outlet, insanity workout, north face outlet, asics shoes, jimmy choo shoes, canada goose outlet, north face jackets, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, reebok shoes, bottega veneta, abercrombie and fitch, celine handbags, canada goose, beats headphones, ugg boots, ugg soldes, soccer shoes, nfl jerseys, canada goose outlet, mcm handbags, p90x workout, soccer jerseys, roshe run, new balance outlet, rolex watches, instyler ionic styler, uggs on sale, babyliss pro, uggs outlet, longchamp, lululemon outlet, uggs outlet, wedding dresses, hollister, birkin bag, ghd, ugg, ugg outlet

5:22 PM  
Blogger Shaimaa Elsadek said...


___________________

شركة مكافحة حشرات بالظهران
شركة تنظيف بالظهران
شركة تنظيف بعنك
شركة مكافحة حشرات ببقيق
شركة مكافحة حشرات بعنك
شركة مكافحة حشرات بسيهات
شركة تنظيف بعنك


ا

5:02 AM  
Blogger Shaimaa Elsadek said...




شركة تنظيف بخميس مشيط
شركة تنظيف شقق بخميس مشيط
شركة تنظيف موكيت بخميس مشيط
شركة تنظيف كنب بخميس مشيط
شركة مكافحة حشرات بخميس مشيط

شركة مكافحة الفئران بخميس مشيط
شركة مكافحة الحمام بخميس مشيط
شركة مكافحة النمل الابيض بخميس مشيط
شركة تنظيف مساجد بخميس مشيط
شركة تنظيف سجاد بخميس مشيط

5:02 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

zzzzz2018.7.28
oakley sunglasses wholesale
ugg boots clearance
christian louboutin sale
ugg boots clearance
prada shoes
moncler outlet
moncler online
pandora charms
cheap jordans
moncler uk

5:46 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

air max 2019
coach outlet
kd 11 shoes
jordan shoes
balenciaga
timberland outlet
yeezy boost 350
westbrook shoes
nike air max
christian louboutin sale

7:39 AM  
Blogger MRWG said...

شركة مكافحة حشرات بنجران
شركة مكافحة حشرات بجازان
شركة مكافحة حشرات بجازان



2:14 PM  
Anonymous pptek said...

Really instructive and superb structure of articles, now that’s user friendly (:. pptek

10:33 PM  
Blogger menna said...

سما الخليج
شركة تنظيف الشارقة
شركات نظافة فى الشارقة
شركات تنظيف الفلل فى الشارقة

1:06 PM  
Blogger Mai said...

المتميز
شركة تنظيف ستائر بعجمان
شركة تلميع وجلى رخام فى العين
خدمات المتميز

9:40 AM  
Blogger deraz said...

خدمات ابوظبى – بيت العز
شركة جلى وتلميع رخام ابوظبى
شركات تنظيف المطابخ وإزالة الدهون أبو ظبي

1:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home