Monday, December 19, 2005

Dec. 19 : Jodhpur... and Achilles Tendonitis

Monday, December 19 :: Jodhpur, India :: 54km today / 673km total

Well, it wouldn't be a bike trip without a little creaking and groaning...

Up early as always, I had to nudge the groggy staff to unlock the sliding gateway so that I could get riding. Out on the road I realized immediately that my saddlesoreness does not seem to be subsiding. Ouch. I could live with it, though. Halfway to Beawar my right Achilles tendon started creaking. Not a good sign. I've had Achilles Tendonitis before, in my racing days, and I know exactly what it feels like, how to treat it, and how long it takes to get better. Fortunately its a "quick-fixer", relative to other injuries, but I would have to be off the bike for a few days and not walk too much. So it turns out that my Achilles Heel is my Achilles Heel, after all. Rolling into Beawar, 53km from where I started, I really had no choice but to stop riding, that is if I didn't want to dig a huge hole for myself and be off the bike for weeks.

Beawar was a less-than-exciting, dirty-as-ever town, and the prospect of a $1.50, 160km bus ride to Jodhpur, a big tourist town with all the promising amenities (including massage), was too enticing. I rolled over to the bus station, changed, and chatted with the locals - Indians are fascinated by the gears on my bike. I grabbed a ticket for the local bus and bungee'd my bike to the roof. After the bus left the station the conductor tried to play hardball with me to get 37 rupees for the bike, but I knew it was a sham (had it been a legitimate charge I would have been told when I bought my ticket - the entire station knew that an English had shown up with a bike). I played hardball back, asking for a receipt with his name written on it, after which he immediately lost interest and wouldn't talk to me for the rest of the trip.

Jodhpur has turned out to be an almost completely vegetarian town, not good for protein-starved me. On top of that there is no massage here (how different than Thailand). Apparently there is expensive massage to be found in the big five-star hotels but I got the feeling they were talking about "massage", not massage. I'm really surprised by the lack of tourists, but then again, India can be hell at times and I wouldn't recommend it to most people, so I shouldn't be surprised at all. I'm loving it, though. Mostly. Overlooking the city is a massive, stunning fortress that I will (gingerly) explore tomorrow. Tonight its lots of stretching, Ibuprofen (how do I love thee), self-ankle-massage, and sleep.

4 Comments:

Blogger hotheaded said...

grahammy,

you're not gonna find massage a common thing in very reserved and pious india. there are no men that are going to deliver massage to another man and the indians would find their women of risk of being a "slut" to be inappropriately touching a man other than their husbands. The girls that are delivering "massage" in india are not hindus or muslims. They are Christians. I am sure you are seeing the heavy segregation in the country amongst religious groups.

Thailand is the sex capital of the world and you can get a goat to touch you inappropriately or not there.

7:34 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike blazer pas cher, burberry handbags, coach outlet, nike tn, michael kors, true religion outlet, nike free uk, michael kors outlet, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, vans pas cher, uggs outlet, sac vanessa bruno, hollister pas cher, coach purses, mulberry uk, replica handbags, kate spade, sac hermes, michael kors outlet, timberland pas cher, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, coach outlet store online, nike roshe run uk, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, lululemon canada, ray ban pas cher, nike air max, nike air max uk, uggs outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet online, nike air max uk, polo lacoste, michael kors, nike air force, hollister uk, north face, new balance, guess pas cher

5:16 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

lululemon, nfl jerseys, instyler, oakley, p90x workout, bottega veneta, ferragamo shoes, iphone 6 cases, nike trainers uk, mac cosmetics, giuseppe zanotti outlet, s6 case, hollister, nike air max, ralph lauren, timberland boots, iphone 6 plus cases, reebok outlet, iphone 6s plus cases, ipad cases, beats by dre, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, louboutin, nike roshe run, hermes belt, herve leger, chi flat iron, celine handbags, valentino shoes, babyliss, vans outlet, iphone cases, longchamp uk, new balance shoes, iphone 6s cases, abercrombie and fitch, iphone 5s cases, mont blanc pens, ghd hair, soccer shoes, baseball bats, wedding dresses, north face outlet, hollister clothing, nike huaraches, north face outlet, asics running shoes, mcm handbags, jimmy choo outlet

5:18 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski crystal, ugg pas cher, karen millen uk, converse, pandora charms, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, barbour uk, nike air max, wedding dresses, converse outlet, ray ban, vans, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, canada goose uk, barbour, lancel, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, toms shoes, moncler, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, supra shoes, gucci, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, hollister, pandora uk, louis vuitton, replica watches, hollister, doudoune moncler, canada goose jackets, canada goose, moncler, pandora jewelry, ugg, ugg uk, coach outlet, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, links of london

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home