Thursday, December 29, 2005

Dec. 29 : Bombay, India

Wednesday, December 29 :: Bombay, India :: 67km today / 1253km total

The food last night wasn't great and I couldn't force much down my throat. Only 15km into today's ride I was feeling weak, tired, exhausted. I adjusted my day's expectation and decided to try for Daman, only 100km from where I started. It was NOT fun, riding along sluggishly, a slow cadence, head down, just making miles for the sake of making miles.

Almost fortunately, my knee started "twanging" again 50km in. Being quite familiar with IT Band Syndrome, I knew that last night's icing and stretching would probably not be a fix, and I was right. So again, as with my ankle 2 weeks ago, I was faced with a few options. a) stop and rest in the middle of nowhere and be back on the bike in a few days, b) ride on to Bombay and be off the bike for a week, or c) take a train/bus to Bombay, rest up, and be back cycling in a few days. Well, it's obvious, isn't it?

I pulled into Navsari, found the bus station - no buses to Bombay. Strange. They had a train station, though, and over to it I went. I managed to get a ticket, for myself and my bike... and soon enough (after lots of tipping for the bike-handlers), I was rolling South.

I was in 2nd class, the lowest class available. For a short train ride, I didn't think it would matter. There was nowhere to sit most of the time, except for on top of my bag, which is where I ended up when I was tired of standing. And yes, the toilet emptied directly to the tracks below.

As the train entered Greater Bombay it passed mile after mile of some of the most hopeless slums I've ever seen in my life. It was truly sad and depressing, particularly watching the children play games among garbage piles, swamps of... who knows what. Homes made of tents, tarp, metal siding, barely held together. Row after row of bleak, post-apocalpytic-looking apartment buildings. Quite unreal. I sort of staggered off the train in a stupor, this really was the worst I'd ever seen... worse than Mexico City, worse than Cairo, worse than Bangkok.

On the bike, I spun towards the Colaba district of Bombay through the night. The route took me along the waterfront and past some of Bombay's most flagrantly weathly hotels, restaurants, nightclubs. Completely awful to see this, immediately after seeing all the slums. The contrast was too much. I pulled into my guesthouse ($12/night! outrageous!) and found some great, protein-rich food (2 orders of chicken tikka and naan).

I'm not sure how long I'll stay here in Bombay. Hopefully not long. There's lots of full-of-themselves locals walking around, mostly rich because of genetic luck as opposed to any other reason. Its certainly not "real India" here, and the people do not have the gentle, easygoing, friendly nature of the rest of the Indians that I love. As well, in only 10 minutes of walking around for food etc, I've been hassled to buy hash, marijuana, go to massage parlours, as well as the usual begging. I'll fill up on protein (bigtime!), rest the legs for a few days, then get the hell out of here.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just tracked your travels on Google Earth...my you've been around...I think my eyes would be falling out of my head and my consciousness on overload with all you've seen...sorry to hear that you had more problems...hopefully in the south you will find more (edible) protein to boost you up.
Thinking of you
auntie c

4:20 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

mont blanc pens, vans outlet, marc jacobs outlet, chi flat iron, valentino shoes, mac cosmetics, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose outlet, ugg outlet, insanity workout, north face outlet, asics shoes, jimmy choo shoes, canada goose outlet, north face jackets, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, reebok shoes, bottega veneta, abercrombie and fitch, celine handbags, canada goose, beats headphones, ugg boots, ugg soldes, soccer shoes, nfl jerseys, canada goose outlet, mcm handbags, p90x workout, soccer jerseys, roshe run, new balance outlet, rolex watches, instyler ionic styler, uggs on sale, babyliss pro, uggs outlet, longchamp, lululemon outlet, uggs outlet, wedding dresses, hollister, birkin bag, ghd, ugg, ugg outlet

5:19 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike roshe, jordan pas cher, christian louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, sac longchamp pas cher, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren, nike outlet, chanel handbags, polo outlet, air max, polo ralph lauren outlet online, prada handbags, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, replica watches, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike free run, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, tiffany and co, uggs on sale, christian louboutin uk, louboutin pas cher, nike free, nike air max, burberry pas cher, gucci handbags, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin shoes

5:12 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike blazer pas cher, burberry handbags, coach outlet, nike tn, michael kors, true religion outlet, nike free uk, michael kors outlet, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, vans pas cher, uggs outlet, sac vanessa bruno, hollister pas cher, coach purses, mulberry uk, replica handbags, kate spade, sac hermes, michael kors outlet, timberland pas cher, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, coach outlet store online, nike roshe run uk, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, lululemon canada, ray ban pas cher, nike air max, nike air max uk, uggs outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet online, nike air max uk, polo lacoste, michael kors, nike air force, hollister uk, north face, new balance, guess pas cher

5:15 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

lululemon, nfl jerseys, instyler, oakley, p90x workout, bottega veneta, ferragamo shoes, iphone 6 cases, nike trainers uk, mac cosmetics, giuseppe zanotti outlet, s6 case, hollister, nike air max, ralph lauren, timberland boots, iphone 6 plus cases, reebok outlet, iphone 6s plus cases, ipad cases, beats by dre, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, louboutin, nike roshe run, hermes belt, herve leger, chi flat iron, celine handbags, valentino shoes, babyliss, vans outlet, iphone cases, longchamp uk, new balance shoes, iphone 6s cases, abercrombie and fitch, iphone 5s cases, mont blanc pens, ghd hair, soccer shoes, baseball bats, wedding dresses, north face outlet, hollister clothing, nike huaraches, north face outlet, asics running shoes, mcm handbags, jimmy choo outlet

5:18 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski crystal, ugg pas cher, karen millen uk, converse, pandora charms, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, barbour uk, nike air max, wedding dresses, converse outlet, ray ban, vans, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, canada goose uk, barbour, lancel, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, toms shoes, moncler, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, supra shoes, gucci, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, hollister, pandora uk, louis vuitton, replica watches, hollister, doudoune moncler, canada goose jackets, canada goose, moncler, pandora jewelry, ugg, ugg uk, coach outlet, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, links of london

5:20 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

golden goose
goyard handbags
golden goose
golden goose
golden goose
golden goose outlet
moncler jackets
goyard
adidas yeezy
goyard

4:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home