Saturday, December 31, 2005

Dec. 31 : Murud, India - an insane day

Saturday, December 31 :: Murud, India :: 50km today / 1303km total

Got up late, in no rush for anything today, and strolled over to the wharf to get my ferry ticket out of Bombay. Easy enough, I had 2 hours to kill, and a good start was to have my 4th chicken tikka and naan meal in 2 days. Always yummy. Back to my room to pack.

Casually I was assembling my gear, getting ready, when I realized that my little tool pouch was missing. After ripping the room apart, cursing in Hindi, I still hadn't found it. GREAT. Must've lost it at the train station... hmmm. Fortunately I still had my pump, spare tubes, spare tire, and spare parts... I had lost my multitool, tire levers, lock, a wrench, a screwdriver, and my allen keys. These things are mostly replacable, Thank Krishna, so I set off to find a bike store.

A bike store in India is not like a bike store in Canada; imagine a gritty little hole in the wall, a chaotic jumble of all kinds of used bike parts everywhere. They are functional, however, and soon enough I had tire levers, an allen key, and a screwdriver. That would do, for now - only the more serious problems could I not now deal with, like a broken chain or pedal. Cycling furiously, careening through the streets of Bombay Indian-style, I just managed to make it in time for my ferry.

I would rather have an uneventful ferry ride than an eventful ferry ride, and the crossing was happily uneventful. Upon disembarking the Indians degenerated into a pushing, crowding mass of chaos that for some reason they seem to enjoy, so I waited to leave last. Its not hard to see why there are periodic trampling deaths in India... imagine had there been an actual reason to get off the ferry quickly.

The ride South along the Arabian Sea coast was fantastic, pretty much everything I'd hoped it would be. A tree-shaded road, lots of little shops selling drinks and ice cream, lots of accomodation options. The road was bad, however, and I was bouncing all over the place. No worries, drop the pace and push on...

Climbing a little hill I noticed a strange wobble. I stopped, checked all the usual suspects, thought maybe I was crazy, and got back on the bike. Immediate wobble. What the hell. I got off the bike again, and started rechecking everything, and scanning the entire bike. OH. MY. GOD. The frame. Was BREAKING. It goes without saying that bike frames are not supposed to break, but I'll say it anyways. BIKE FRAMES ARE NOT SUPPOSED TO BREAK. I must've stood there for 10 minutes, stupefied. Of all things that could possibly happen. Of all things that I've dealt with during this, and previous, bike trips. My frame was breaking, just behind the front wheel and handlebars. In two places.

I walked to a little drink stop, bought some water, and sat down. My bike frame. Here, in the middle of Nowhere, India. We're not talking a flat tire. The FRAME. My steel frame. Well. Steel can be fixed, can't it? I've seen numerous breakdowns all over the place in India, and Indians furiously fixing all kinds of mechanical problems. I resolved that this one would just be another.

The Arabian Sea spared of one broken bike frame, I started walking down the road with my bike - the frame was still holding together - steel bike frames do not break "catastrophically" (thank Shiva), but gradually. I fandangled a lift from a passing truck, and off we went towards Murud, the largest town around.

I checked into a little seaside guesthouse - my first seaside anything this trip (the garbage and sewage-filled harbour of Bombay does not qualify), and found a welder. I handed him my bike, go to it, buddy. I implored him with all sorts of antics and Arnold-like contortions to make it strong, strong, strong. Murud is a popular Indian holiday spot, and there were all sorts of things going on, so off I went while my life passed into the hands of the welder. They had a daredevil motorcycle sphere which was fun to watch (for 10 rupees, 25 cents).

I picked up my bike, now with black and silver added to the whiteness of the frame. The weld looks... how the hell would I know. Its a weld. I have no idea if the frame will hold for 2km or 20000km. But I WILL ride out of Murud, tomorrow.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy New Year Graham--I guess it's all the adjustments and solutions and challenges that make memories!!Since all things are symbolic- all the not supposed to's- are fabulous reminders that things sre never what they appear to be.All things have their purpose.Your adapability is definitly being challenged and I am reminded again of the illusions of this "real" world. As you can tell- I've been reading some obscure reality stuff- forgive me.Once again, thankyou for letting me ride along-The Hippie Girl

7:01 AM  
Blogger hotheaded said...

oh man, i'd be on the first flight home. FIRST. i'm all for memories but the kind where things work and i'm not in some indian wilderness. you're a trooper. now go sell some soap while you're walking the bike!

2:10 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

mont blanc pens, vans outlet, marc jacobs outlet, chi flat iron, valentino shoes, mac cosmetics, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose outlet, ugg outlet, insanity workout, north face outlet, asics shoes, jimmy choo shoes, canada goose outlet, north face jackets, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, reebok shoes, bottega veneta, abercrombie and fitch, celine handbags, canada goose, beats headphones, ugg boots, ugg soldes, soccer shoes, nfl jerseys, canada goose outlet, mcm handbags, p90x workout, soccer jerseys, roshe run, new balance outlet, rolex watches, instyler ionic styler, uggs on sale, babyliss pro, uggs outlet, longchamp, lululemon outlet, uggs outlet, wedding dresses, hollister, birkin bag, ghd, ugg, ugg outlet

5:19 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike roshe, jordan pas cher, christian louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, sac longchamp pas cher, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren, nike outlet, chanel handbags, polo outlet, air max, polo ralph lauren outlet online, prada handbags, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, replica watches, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike free run, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, tiffany and co, uggs on sale, christian louboutin uk, louboutin pas cher, nike free, nike air max, burberry pas cher, gucci handbags, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin shoes

5:12 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike blazer pas cher, burberry handbags, coach outlet, nike tn, michael kors, true religion outlet, nike free uk, michael kors outlet, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, vans pas cher, uggs outlet, sac vanessa bruno, hollister pas cher, coach purses, mulberry uk, replica handbags, kate spade, sac hermes, michael kors outlet, timberland pas cher, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, coach outlet store online, nike roshe run uk, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, lululemon canada, ray ban pas cher, nike air max, nike air max uk, uggs outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet online, nike air max uk, polo lacoste, michael kors, nike air force, hollister uk, north face, new balance

5:14 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

lululemon, nfl jerseys, instyler, oakley, p90x workout, bottega veneta, ferragamo shoes, iphone 6 cases, nike trainers uk, mac cosmetics, giuseppe zanotti outlet, s6 case, hollister, nike air max, ralph lauren, timberland boots, iphone 6 plus cases, reebok outlet, iphone 6s plus cases, ipad cases, beats by dre, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, louboutin, nike roshe run, hermes belt, herve leger, chi flat iron, celine handbags, valentino shoes, babyliss, vans outlet, iphone cases, longchamp uk, new balance shoes, iphone 6s cases, abercrombie and fitch, iphone 5s cases, mont blanc pens, ghd hair, soccer shoes, baseball bats, wedding dresses, north face outlet, hollister clothing, nike huaraches, north face outlet, asics running shoes, mcm handbags, jimmy choo outlet

5:17 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski crystal, ugg pas cher, karen millen uk, converse, pandora charms, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, barbour uk, nike air max, wedding dresses, converse outlet, ray ban, vans, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, canada goose uk, barbour, lancel, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, toms shoes, moncler, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, supra shoes, gucci, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, hollister, pandora uk, louis vuitton, replica watches, hollister, doudoune moncler, canada goose jackets, canada goose, moncler, pandora jewelry, ugg, ugg uk, coach outlet, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, links of london

5:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home