Thursday, January 12, 2006

Jan. 12 : Calicut, India - crash

Thursday, January 12 :: Calicut, India :: 120km today / 2445km total

Lets play a game. Its called Which Type Of Road Hazard Left Graham Scraped and Bleeding on the Road Today. Here are your options, the 5 most dangerous hazards on India's roads:

a) bus
b) truck
c) bicycle
d) pedestrian
e) tourist/pilgrim minibus

Have you picked your answer? Good, here we go.

I woke tired, very tired. I've only had one day off the bike since leaving Bombay, and its really starting to show in all sorts of aches, pains, and general fatigue. I set a destination of Calicut, 110km away, and a probable full day off tomorrow. It took 15km to wake the legs up, and even then I was struggling.

-> Buses and trucks tend to hang out in the centre of the road (since they own it). Although they pose a tremendous hazard to each other, it is rare that they hang out at the paved margin, where I do all my riding, so an encounter with them isn't that likely. Also, they are loud on the horn and rumble along quite noisily, so I always know where they are. No, it wasn't a) or b).

My first wrong turn of the trip added 10km and many steep hills to my ride, and I cursed my foolishness. Already tired, this was not what I needed. But the ever-helpful Indians guided me back to the main highway, now 60km out of Calicut. It was hot, I was tired, but the road was immaculately smooth and quite flat, so with renewed energy and optimism I pushed forward.

-> Pilgrims drive with complete reckless abandon, and are a real danger. I'm guessing that its either that they feel extra-blessed and protected while on their pilgrimage, or they are partaking of sensory-enhancers to liven the pilgrimming mood. Tourist mini-buses, very similar, are driven madly by Indians who know a good tip awaits a fast delivery to/from the airport. Outside of Goa tourist minibuses are fairly non-existent. But no, it wasn't a minibus that did me in today.

20km from Calicut it happened. I was hammering along a flat, down on the aerobars, taking a corner. At the same time an Indian cyclist took the same corner. The problem was, he was on the wrong side of the road - my side - riding against the traffic. What was he thinking - suppose I had been a motorcycle or tuk-tuk? Neither of us had much time to react, basically, the options were Swerve Left or Swerve Right. I went Right, he went Left - which meant we both went the wrong way (consider direction of travel). SMACK. If you remember your High School Physics and know that I had about 50lbs, 15km/h, and a few inches height on him you'll know how things ended up - me and my bike on top of him and his bike. First thought: GET OFF THE ROAD. Second thought: CHECK THE WHEELS. A very tense, slow, 5 seconds... my wheels are unreplacable in India. Amazingly the rims were not bent. The bike was still ridable.

Now I turned my attention to him. I'm not really prone to anger or outbursts, as you probably know, but 2400km of dealing with psycho, idiotic drivers came out of me in one shot at him. I didn't touch him, but a physical beating would probably have left shallower scars than the browbeating and screaming that he took, in both English and Hindi (or maybe he'll just laugh the whole thing off later). He was young, so I knew he understood the simple, emphatic English that came out of me. He acknowledged fault, whimpered Sorry over and over again, but it just wasn't good enough. Eventually he rolled off, escaping from my rage, seemingly unhurt.

As I straightened the handlebars I noticed blood dripping off me onto the road. Fucking great. Turning attention to myself for the first time I realized that two of my left fingers were bleeding heavily enough to more-or-less cover my hand in blood, and my left elbow was scraped up. I walked over to the nearest house and politely asked if I could use their water tap. They were more than happy to help and I had to softly refuse all sorts of amenities. I did a quick wash/Polysporin/band-aid job and rolled off slowly towards Calicut, steering now with one-and-a-half hands.

Unbelievably, no more than 500 metres later two women darted out onto the road, oblivious to traffic coming in either direction. I was one of the eithers, and brushed heavily against one woman, but I did not go down. What the Hell, was this National Knock The White Guy Off His Bike Day? Am I taking crazy pills? I pinched myself to see if I was awake, recounted that I haven't had any alcohol, dizzy spells, heatstroke, etc. today. My only two contacts with traffic in India, within 1km of each other. How is this possible? I had to stop for a drink of lime water, just to re-boot and try to dispel whatever karmic nightmare I'd gotten myself into. The ever-friendly Indians asked me the usual "How are you?" to which I had to respond, bloody and scraped and incredulous at the past 20 minutes, "I'm doing shitty, how are you?" When learning English in Grade School this is not the response they are taught to expect, so they kind of wandered off without answering, perplexed.

In Calicut I did a more thorough cleaning and splinted the badly cut middle finger - its cut at the knuckle, so the finger needs to be kept straight for the skin to heal properly. Stitches would probably be overkill - only 3-4 would be required, and I've handled cuts like this before. It'll be fine in a few days. Needless to say, I won't be riding ANYWHERE tomorrow.

9 Comments:

Blogger hotheaded said...

graham,

go see a doctor about the cuts and bruises. have them do a thorough check/clean up. the last thing you need is an infection which is easy enough to get anywhere but with all the dust, dirt, sweating and heat in india just makes it so much easier.

remember, i have no need for a handless soaper :P

8:41 AM  
Blogger Graham Durrant said...

I'm watching the cuts carefully. I have good medical insurance, so i can go to the hospital easily, without much concern.

Regarding the duality of the way Indians behave in person vs. the way they drive, yes, I have a hard time reconciling this also. But the fact is that, in interactions with the average Indian that I meet off the road, they are nothing but polite, curious, and helpful. Maybe its a facade, I don't know, if it is, its a pretty good one. I can't explain it, I'm just recording it.

Regarding women, I don't think they treat women much differently than Western society did 50-100 years ago, so to criticize treatment of women in India is to criticize that they haven't advanced socially as fast as the West, which is not fair. Do you think equally lowly of all Westerners born 50+ years ago, who treated Western women then as Indians do of their women now? Or is this a double-standard thing?

India had a female leader before Canada (Canada's never had a popularly elected female leader, actually), so Indians must not think THAT lowly of their women...

8:45 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Graham:
So you can compare poor to poor (as in your previous comments when criticising Western society) but not the treatment of women? Give me a break. Time to get your head out of your ass.

5:52 AM  
Blogger Graham Durrant said...

The only criticism I was making of Western society is that we Westerners don't know how to appreciate what we have, whether we are on the higher end of the earnings curve or lower end. Why is that so offensive? Me, not on the higher end at the moment, I'm completely thankful that I live in Canada, I absolutely love our country, and wouldn't trade my citizenship for any in the world. I wish more would feel the same way without complaining about trivialities.

I did compare treatment of women... to restate, from what I understand of Western history and present-day India, Indians treat their women now similarly to how the West did 50-100 years ago (better in some situations, worse in others). In other words, poorly. I'm not defending them and I think the way they treat women sucks. I also think the way my great-grandfather's generation treated women sucks, and I think much can be compared between them. So its not necessarily an Indian thing... treatment of women is a complex sociolocial/ economic/ awareness thing... my thought is that the average Indian man today, who is struggling to put food on the table for himself and his family, has about the same awareness of gender issues and fair treatment as Western men 50-100 years ago. You have to understand how poor some of these people are and the marginality to which many are clinging to life - its absolutely heartbreaking and some of the things I saw in Bombay (in particular) still haunt me - you can't expect miracles of them, to pick up a newspaper, be able to read it, and suddenly be in favour of, say, gay marriage Because Canada Said So. It will come, but it takes time. To criticize is to not understand their history, daily living pressures, and environment. I barely understand these things about India, myself, but I know that you cannot draw immediate Year 2006 parallels and expect everyone to immediately rise to the occasion, and shun them if they can't.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Graham Durrant said...

100 years ago in Canada women couldn't vote, hold office, and rarely held strong matriarchal decision-making positions in the family - all of which is true in India today, as has been for a while. I'm not convinced that many women in Canada 100 years ago had much control over their destiny. The burning you are talking about (sati) is a thing of the past, heavily outlawed, much publicized when an incident happens, once every 5 years among a billion person population.

You have to understand that there is not one "India". The middle and upper classes here are extremely progressive, and women in these social groups are not that badly off. In these socio-economic groups all and more of what you say about Canadian women 100 years ago is true - they own businesses (I've met many female proprieters), they work as journalists and countless other professions (VERY common in India today - turn on the TV, women all over the place reporting), and they can accept/turn down marriage proposals. It is among the poorest, least educated, most rural classes that the older traditions are dying harder with. What are you going to do, chastise these people for being destitute (how DARE they!), and represent India as a whole based on the actions of their poorest?

7:47 AM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

mont blanc pens, vans outlet, marc jacobs outlet, chi flat iron, valentino shoes, mac cosmetics, giuseppe zanotti, canada goose outlet, ugg outlet, insanity workout, north face outlet, asics shoes, jimmy choo shoes, canada goose outlet, north face jackets, ferragamo shoes, herve leger, reebok shoes, bottega veneta, abercrombie and fitch, celine handbags, canada goose, beats headphones, ugg boots, ugg soldes, soccer shoes, nfl jerseys, canada goose outlet, mcm handbags, p90x workout, soccer jerseys, roshe run, new balance outlet, rolex watches, instyler ionic styler, uggs on sale, babyliss pro, uggs outlet, longchamp, lululemon outlet, uggs outlet, wedding dresses, hollister, birkin bag, ghd, ugg, ugg outlet

5:20 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike roshe, jordan pas cher, christian louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, sac longchamp pas cher, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren, nike outlet, chanel handbags, polo outlet, air max, polo ralph lauren outlet online, prada handbags, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, replica watches, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike free run, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, tiffany and co, uggs on sale, christian louboutin uk, louboutin pas cher, nike free, nike air max, burberry pas cher, gucci handbags, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin shoes

5:25 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

nike blazer pas cher, burberry handbags, coach outlet, nike tn, michael kors, true religion outlet, nike free uk, michael kors outlet, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, vans pas cher, uggs outlet, sac vanessa bruno, hollister pas cher, coach purses, mulberry uk, replica handbags, kate spade, sac hermes, michael kors outlet, timberland pas cher, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, coach outlet store online, nike roshe run uk, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, lululemon canada, ray ban pas cher, nike air max, nike air max uk, uggs outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet online, nike air max uk, polo lacoste, michael kors, nike air force, hollister uk, north face, new balance, guess pas cher

5:27 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski crystal, ugg pas cher, karen millen uk, converse, pandora charms, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, barbour uk, nike air max, wedding dresses, converse outlet, ray ban, vans, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, canada goose uk, barbour, lancel, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, toms shoes, moncler, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, supra shoes, gucci, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, hollister, pandora uk, louis vuitton, replica watches, hollister, doudoune moncler, canada goose jackets, canada goose, moncler, pandora jewelry, ugg, ugg uk, coach outlet, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, links of london

5:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home