Thursday, January 05, 2006

Jan . 3 : Rajapur - hell in the Ghats

Tuesday, January 3 :: Rajapur, India :: 117km today / 1550km total

Well, I knew today would be hilly, but had no idea the hell in store for me. It was a full day of brutal, unrelenting, switchbacking climbs and descents through India's Western Ghats (mountains that stretch down India's West Coast). The first 4km out of Chiplun was all uphill, having me dig far too deep, far too early in the day. Every descent was heartbreaking, as fun and furious as they were, because I knew that it meant more climbing ahead. Even the trucks were struggling, and at one point I was playing leapfrog for about 5km with 2 particular trucks; I was climbing with them, they would pass me on the short flats, and I would pass them on the screaming descents. It might sound fun, but it was painful, all day long. I must've looked like a complete mess to the people I was passing by; sweat dripping off of my face onto my bike and clothes, teeth gritted, struggling, struggling upwards.

The terrain was beautiful, when I had time to enjoy it, which wasn't often. The deep valleys were green, lush, and tropical. The summits were dry, barren, and dusty. At least the road surface was smooth, thank God. I consumed vast quantities of liquids, but little food. Finally, I limped into Rajapur, absolutely exhausted.

When I stop at a town that I know nothing about (i.e. not in my guidebook) I usually head for town centre, then figure out from there where I want to stay; I like having access to the market, and scouting out the restaurants. The road to the centre of Rajapur was a very steep 1km descent... with nothing of use at the bottom... no place to stay, no market. I had to retrace my steps, but there was no way I was riding back up that hill, exhausted as I was, so I walked it, pushing my bike along, quite unashamedly. After reaching the main road and checking into the only guesthouse in town I flopped down onto the bed, completely, utterly wiped out. There would be no clothes-washing or stretching tonight.

2 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

nike roshe, jordan pas cher, christian louboutin outlet, replica watches, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, tiffany jewelry, sac longchamp pas cher, kate spade outlet, louis vuitton, louis vuitton outlet, polo ralph lauren, nike outlet, chanel handbags, polo outlet, air max, polo ralph lauren outlet online, prada handbags, louis vuitton, jordan shoes, longchamp outlet, tory burch outlet, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, prada outlet, replica watches, oakley sunglasses wholesale, nike free run, ray ban sunglasses, ugg boots, tiffany and co, uggs on sale, christian louboutin uk, louboutin pas cher, nike free, nike air max, burberry pas cher, gucci handbags, louis vuitton outlet, longchamp outlet, christian louboutin, nike air max, cheap oakley sunglasses, ugg boots, oakley sunglasses, ray ban sunglasses, michael kors pas cher, christian louboutin shoes

5:25 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

lululemon, nfl jerseys, instyler, oakley, p90x workout, bottega veneta, ferragamo shoes, iphone 6 cases, nike trainers uk, mac cosmetics, giuseppe zanotti outlet, s6 case, hollister, nike air max, ralph lauren, timberland boots, iphone 6 plus cases, reebok outlet, iphone 6s plus cases, ipad cases, beats by dre, insanity workout, soccer jerseys, louboutin, nike roshe run, hermes belt, herve leger, chi flat iron, celine handbags, valentino shoes, babyliss, vans outlet, iphone cases, longchamp uk, new balance shoes, iphone 6s cases, abercrombie and fitch, iphone 5s cases, mont blanc pens, ghd hair, soccer shoes, baseball bats, wedding dresses, north face outlet, hollister clothing, nike huaraches, north face outlet, asics running shoes, mcm handbags, jimmy choo outlet

5:31 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home