Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Jan. 31 - Kathmandu, Nepal

Tuesday, January 31 :: Kathmandu, Nepal :: 0km today / 3199km total

Over breakfast this morning I read in the local newspaper that the India-Nepal border is closing from Feb. 7 - 9, during the upcoming election. THATS NOT GOOD. Its a border I need to cross. And, there's no guarantees that it won't be closed longer than the 9th (or earlier than the 7th?), the way things are here. Well. That changes things.

With even more resolve to go there I showed up at the Pakistani embassy. After the usual foolishness (I had to get a letter from the Canadian consulate saying I'm a good guy... I mean, I am, but how do they know?), I left with the promise of a visa tomorrow. Islamabad here I come! I've always loved Islamic countries and peoples, hopefully Pakistan will be more of the same (but different!). In the Canadian Consulate I was told that the Maoists are calling for all businesses in Nepal to close for a week, starting Feb 5th. GREAT. While these border/business issues are not dangerous to me, they make travel pretty difficult, even by bike. And you never know what the election fallout will be. So I will have to cut my time in Nepal short, probably via a 12-hour bus ride to the Western border from Bharatpur (which I still intend to ride back to).

Back in Thamel I booked the Everest flight for tomorrow morning, a 1.5 hour out-and-back flight out of Kathmandu to... Everest and surrounding mountains. Should be awesome. Nepal is DEFINITELY a place I want to come back to, in the future, maybe hike the Annapurna Circuit or to Everest Base Camp. Anyone?

I finished the day with some walking tours of Kathmandu's historic district, and of course plenty of food. The touts are bad here, but I have more empathy for them than anything else. Tourism in Nepal has been cut in half since 1999, because of the political problems, 9/11, etc., and the people are suffering for it. In more peaceful times, from what I've seen, it would be an incredible trekking or paddling destination.

I'm possibly leaving Kathmandu tomorrow afternoon, and the next time you hear from me I may be back in India.

2 Comments:

Blogger oakleyses said...

nike blazer pas cher, burberry handbags, coach outlet, nike tn, michael kors, true religion outlet, nike free uk, michael kors outlet, true religion outlet, ray ban uk, vans pas cher, uggs outlet, sac vanessa bruno, hollister pas cher, coach purses, mulberry uk, replica handbags, kate spade, sac hermes, michael kors outlet, timberland pas cher, north face uk, michael kors outlet online, true religion jeans, coach outlet store online, nike roshe run uk, michael kors outlet online, michael kors outlet, hogan outlet, oakley pas cher, michael kors outlet online, true religion outlet, lululemon canada, ray ban pas cher, nike air max, nike air max uk, uggs outlet, converse pas cher, michael kors outlet online, nike air max uk, polo lacoste, michael kors, nike air force, hollister uk, north face, new balance, guess pas cher

5:16 PM  
Blogger oakleyses said...

swarovski crystal, ugg pas cher, karen millen uk, converse, pandora charms, canada goose outlet, canada goose outlet, barbour uk, nike air max, wedding dresses, converse outlet, ray ban, vans, juicy couture outlet, swarovski, canada goose uk, barbour, lancel, montre pas cher, louis vuitton, pandora jewelry, moncler, ugg,uggs,uggs canada, moncler, ugg,ugg australia,ugg italia, toms shoes, moncler, louis vuitton, louis vuitton, supra shoes, gucci, canada goose outlet, louis vuitton, thomas sabo, hollister, pandora uk, louis vuitton, replica watches, hollister, doudoune moncler, canada goose jackets, canada goose, moncler, pandora jewelry, ugg, ugg uk, coach outlet, canada goose, juicy couture outlet, links of london

5:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home