Monday, February 06, 2006

Feb. 6 - Dehra Dun, India

Monday, February 6 :: Dehra Dun, India :: 70km today / 3713km total

A late start to the day as the weather is even cooler here, at the foot of the Himalaya. I felt terribly weak on the bike, here we go again. It was only 24km to Rishikesh, but it was uphill and upwind, and it took me far longer than it should have. But the scenery in this area of India continues to be great, so the ride wasn't unenjoyable.

Rishikesh is a great town, ashram-loaded, with the first Western tourists I've seen since Kathmandu. I tried to get a good kayaking trip together, but the prices were high, nearly what you'd pay in Canada, and I started to lose interest when the outfitters were vague on the classes of the rapids, the type of kayak, etc. Ah well, more time for Pakistan!

After hitting the Swiss Bakery I backtracked to the Dehra Dun road, and left town. A very hilly ride it was... not steep hills, just long, long, energy-draining climbs. It was very forested, lots of monkeys, so all good as I spun along interminably in my lowest gear. Dehra Dun is another semi-tourist town, so the food options are varied, which always helps.

My eyes are firmly on Amritsar now, at the border with Pakistan.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home