Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Feb. 7 - Rajpura, India

Tuesday, February 7 :: Rajpura, India :: 191km today / 3904km total

Just did NOT want to get out of bed this morning. Had there been a reason to stay in Dehra Dun for a day, I would have, as I was completely uninterested in riding. But I wouldn't get to Amritsar by doing nothing, so with a late start, almost 9 a.m., I was off and rolling.

The road soon turned upwards for a 10km climb that I was quite unimpressed with having to do. Fortunately it was through a wildlife reserve, and made for as pleasant riding as could be expected when you're going uphill. I had to dodge monkeys. At the crest was a short tunnel, followed by a winding, 20km descent, all in all a fantastic 30km. I was quite invigorated by the descent, brushed aside my laziness, and started to pedal in earnest. The road was flat, but a headwind kept things honest.

With careful, timed drinking and eating I started to log some serious mileage at a strong pace. I don't really know where the energy came from. Rolling through 130km my legs started to whisper "200" at me, but I told them that Ambala at 167 would be quite satisfactory, especially given the headwind. Shortly after that I felt a knock in the pedals, yes, I had ripped through the welding in my bottom bracket that I had had done near Bombay. Too much power. I chastized my legs for this, telling them to stop ripping apart the bike, goddamnit, now there's no way I'll let them go to 200 today. After a quick re-welding I was off and rolling, into Ambala. But no good accomodation was to be had - at least, no reasonable accomodation. So, with the Sun threateningly low in the sky, I buckled down for a 24km end-of-day hammerfest to Rajpuri. I crossed into Punjab State, and made it into a hotel just as it was getting scarily dark. A little over nine hours for a headwind 191km, inclusive of stops, not bad, not bad. I gorged like a madman on FANTASTIC Punjabi food, and fell asleep dizzy from a Kingfisher beer (650ml).